Bring goodies! A lot of the people coming through the aisles want an excuse to come talk to you! A freebie is a great way to break the ice. If you’re just standing there awkwardly on your own with nothing but a few pamphlets, things are going to get weeeeeird.
- Y’all got HALLS? I lost my voice after the first day. I spend most of my days talking to dogs off and on for probably a total of 2 hours. Suddenly – BAM!! 50 full-on human conversations in one day!! Grab some herbal tea and some throat lozenges ‘cause your throat is gonna go!
- Make friends with your booth buddy. The person or people next to you can help you get through the day! If you’re like me and are the only person there, your booth buddy can watch your stuff if you need to run to the bathroom or chase after a cute doggo! You can also piggyback off each other’s conversations with visitors. Booth buddies are KEY.
- Be prepared to find babies in strollers weird. It’s true! I saw so many different animals being toted around in strollers, by the time Sunday rolled around and I saw my first baby in a stroller I was BEWILDERED. Strollers aren’t for babies! They’re for bunnies and puppies and cats and occasionally reptiles.
- Take time to get to know other Boothers! This was actually my favourite part of the Pet Expo! I took the time during set-up and before the doors opened to walk around and introduce myself. I didn’t get to talk to as many people as I wanted because once animals lovers get talking we don’t stop. This is a great opportunity to network and find out about other local businesses and rescues you might want to refer customers to or even use yourself.
- Prep for social media pics! One thing I hadn’t prepared for was the opportunities Beagle Paws and other businesses gave for pictures! Always be up for a photo and tag as many other local businesses or people as you can. The more you include others, the more likely they will be to share your content and tag you in future posts.
- Pay it forward. When you go the next year, whether you’re a Boother or just an attendee, carry those lozenges, talk to the awkward person with only pamphlets, and take photos for social media and TAG the businesses you capture in the pics! We’re all in this together. #supportlocal #buylocal #Newfoundland #petlove